I'm back after a long gap of 20 days and few hours :) Came across some good happenings and not so good happenings.Thank God we're safe. Attended two interviews and gained some new experiences.Hoping to post about those experiences too.Anyways CHEEERRRRRS for our historic world cup win:)))).And......back to blogging again.My thoughts were much randomized I guess:-)
ARTICLES ..here it goes.....The best part about ARTICLES is only 3 articles:) , but still more rules to be followed while using it actually !!! :)
ARTICLES: ‘A’ ,’an’ and ‘the’ are called articles. The is called the definite article and a(or an) the indefinite article.
I. THE USE OF ‘AN’:
1. ‘AN’ is used before a single noun which is pronounced with a vowel sound.
An umbrella, an elephant, an animal.
2. ‘An’ is used before a singular noun n which ‘h’ is silent.
An honest man , an heir.
3. It is used before a consonant in an abbreviation which begins with a vowel sound.
an M.A ., an M.L.A
II. THE USE OF ‘A’:
1. ‘A’ is used before a singular noun beginning with a constant sound.
A good day , a doctor.
2. It is used before a singular noun beginning with a vowel which has a ‘w’ constant sound.
A one eyed man , a one man army.
3. It is used before a singular noun beginning with a vowel which has a ‘y’ consonant sound.
A university , A utensil etc.
III.THE USE OF ‘THE’:
1. ' The' is used before a definite person.
The President , the prime minister, the secretary.
2. It is used when the same noun is repeated for the second time.
There was an old man. The old man had a dog. The dog barked violently.
3. It is used before ranks.
Example: The first , The former
4. It is used before superlative degrees.
Example: the worst, the best.
5. It is used before holy books.
Example: The Quran , The Bible.
6. It is used before unique things.
Example:The Earth, The moon.
7. It is used before the names of the rivers, seas, oceans, mountain ranges etc.
Example: The Alps , The Himalayas.
8. It is used before the names of the countries consisting of the words like union,United Kingdom,Republic.
Example: The Union of India , The U.S.S.R
9. It is used where a singular noun represents the whole class.
Examples:The Cow is an useful animal.
10. It is used when two comparatives are in a single sentence.
Example: the older we grow, the wiser we become.
11. It is used before an adjective when the noun is understood.
Example:The rich are proud.
12. It is used before a proper noun when it is used as a common noun.
Examples: Bombay is the Manchester of India.
13. It is used before an abstract noun when the name of a particular person is given.
Example:The patience of J.P is adorable.
14. It is used before the name of a person with its plural form representing the whole family.
Example: The Smiths.
15. It is used before the names of shops, banks,hotels etc.
Example:The Rotary club.
16. It is used before the names of ships and trains and aeroplanes.
Example:The Rawalpindi Express.
17. It is used before the names of musical instruments.
18. It is used before the types of forces.
Exammple: The Naval force, The Army force.
19. It is used before stations.
Examples: The post office.
20. It is used before a comparative degree used with ‘of the two’.
Example: Gita is the tailor of the two sisters.
Note: This article doesn’t covers the full scope of the above dealt parts of speech. It is better recommended for a basic understanding only.
Happy Reading !!! Leave your valuable comments and help me grow :)
Source : Wren and Martins' English Grammar and Composition.,Career launcher;s Fundamentals of Grammar & RC, image source:Google.